HomeGalleryPortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

What draws people to Witchcraft?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ook!
Official Post Master

PostSubject: What draws people to Witchcraft?   Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:28 pm

Gina was wondering what you think draws people to Witchcraft without actually knowing what it is to begin with? It must start somewhere.

For her, it was 'a feeling'. Even before we knew someone who knew anything about Witchcraft she felt for years that it was a path that she seriously wanted to explore, despite not knowing anything at all about it. I think this is very ineresting and implies some form of natural intuition focused in this direction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aurora

PostSubject: Re: What draws people to Witchcraft?   Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:23 pm

I didnt have a defining moment when I suddenly discovered that it was my path. In my eyes ive always been a witch, as soon as I got the internet I would look up spells and thing on witches and then I finally plucked up the courage to buy books on the subject when I was 10 or 11.

One little story of mine I do like telling though iis when I was in preschool, so I must've been about 4 or 5, I had to dress up for halloween and of course I had chose to dress up as a witch (which i chose to do every year). When getting my costume ready my mum asked "do you want me to buy you a fake nose with a wart on?", I simply replied , "mummy witches dont have warty noses, they look just like evryone else!" I also remember trying to make my halloween broom fly from will alone! hehe!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ook!
Official Post Master

PostSubject: Re: What draws people to Witchcraft?   Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:55 pm

KimSayers wrote:
I also remember trying to make my halloween broom fly from will alone! hehe!

Gina has just said she used to do the same thing! Apparently she had a miniature cauldron as well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aurora

PostSubject: Re: What draws people to Witchcraft?   Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:54 pm

Awww i'm so jealous! I've always wanted a proper cauldron, I shall definately get one when i move out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StarlightTess

PostSubject: Re: What draws people to Witchcraft?   Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:25 pm

So I just wrote a long reply and then pushed backspace by mistake and I lost the lot, anyway, long story short in answer to this question I used to be a devout Christian but started asking questions that made them uncomfortable: I was shunned and treated with distain at the age of 16 when I thought people were supportive. I met a girl called H in my second year of college who told me she had a message from my grandad and told me all these things there is no way she could have known, then I started talking to her and she told me about Wicca and Paganism. I started to reaserach it a little reading a book every once in a while started wearing a pentacle when i was 20 just felt right, and now i'm 21 and more serious about learning and finding more about such an amazing topic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hedgewitchescottage.co.uk
Aoife
Overlord and Mistress all of Word Order

PostSubject: Re: What draws people to Witchcraft?   Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:40 pm

I was always interested in magic (note the lack of the 'k' I usually use) in films books and stuff and I think it freaked my parents (the über-christians) out when their vicar's-pet daughter started going out of her way to hav as much t do with anything magic-related. After reading Harry Potter I even waited up 'til midnight on the night before my eleventh birthday, hoping to receive a letter! How cool am I?

So anyway, when I read/watched stuff that said that magic only works if you believe in it and it's not just about saying magic words it's the intent behind it and stuff, I used to sit there and think, "I bet that would work". 'Cause afterall, our perceptions of reality are based on the way our MINDS INTERPRET messages from our senses, so if you believe something it is, from your perspective, true. Okay, so I wouldn' have used all the long words but that was my main thought.

Then when I was about twelve a girl in my class claimed to be an actual real bona fide witch. She told me little bits about wicca but it soon became clear after doing my own research that she knew basically nothing and it turned out she was just trying to make a fashion statement. But I was hooked (and kinda still am).

Just don't tell my parents... Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://squirrelspotter.livejournal.com/
Sabouki

PostSubject: Re: What draws people to Witchcraft?   Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:28 pm

I havent actually decided whether its my 'path' if you will, but i know i belive in it and am REALLY interested in it.

My interest first began on Halloween [oh yes] when i was 10 and a group of friends and i watched 'The Craft' [not true to wichtcraft at all, lol] the n our interest grew, and grew even more with the discovery of our ghost at school....[really was a ghost in our classroom, bloody old masion]

Then my interest waned for a couple of years, and then last year i went down to Somerset to see my best mate Mel and met Tomi and Liz, and my interest reeturned, and has not left since, lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LunarCraft
Forum Mother!!
Forum Mother!!

PostSubject: Re: What draws people to Witchcraft?   Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:54 pm

My path into the Craft has been somewhat convoluted and skirted around Christianity - I could easily have got proper hooked there.

Anyway, I have been interested in "the occult" for as long as I can remember but it was disapproved of by my parents, particularly my father. About six years ago, Annie announced to me (in the middle of Smiths) that she was a witch ... I was horrified but tried not to show it!!!

Instead, I asked Annie what she meant by a witch and she explained about Wicca and everything around it. This reignited my interest, particularly as it appealed to everything that I hold dear ... a love of nature, watching the seasons, celebrating creation ... and a lack of dogma, coupled with the ability to shape your belief system yourself. Wow, it was wonderful!!!

Now, here I am running a shop for pagans and other seekers!!! I did not see that coming all that time ago!! But, seriously, I have never felt so comfortable with a job before!!!

I will close here ... otherwise, it will turn into a book!! rofl

and your heart be filled with Love!

Brightest Blessings!

http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk/Lunarcraft/Index.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk
Ook!
Official Post Master

PostSubject: Re: What draws people to Witchcraft?   Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:13 pm

Wow, what wonderful responses!

Gina felt that even though she didn't know much about Witchcraft, she has always been drawn to it. It's a feeling that has always been there for her.

When she was a kid, the local kids would say a woman who lived nearby was a Witch. If they saw her they would run away screaming. Gina on the other hand always wanted to meet her and, if the woman was a Witch, she wanted to learn everything about the craft.

She was not brought up to fear the supernatural and magic, she was brought up to respect it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aurora

PostSubject: Re: What draws people to Witchcraft?   Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:46 am

Oh Sarah that story really surprised me hehe, paganism fits you so well! and I always assumed that you brought annie up with witchcraft and paganism! how wonderful it is to know what really happened hehe! x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: What draws people to Witchcraft?   Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:22 pm

I was surprised as well, but it seems the Maiden introduced the Crone to the Craft in the end!!

Sorry, couldn't let that one slip away!!!

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What draws people to Witchcraft?   

Back to top Go down

What draws people to Witchcraft?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1