Share | 

sleep aids

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Oobe

PostSubject: Re: sleep aids   Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:48 pm

StarlightTess wrote:
thanks ook, its not really my sleep patterns that have suffered just sometimes i find it difficult to drop off to sleep, my mind gets toooooooooo active and even after meditating i lay down and it runs away again.

If you find your mind wants to run away, then let it. Often it will go off to all sorts of funny places for a while, then settle down again. The reason is it uses quite a bit of energy for it to race like that, and it will get tired quickly. It works for me sometimes, but not if stressed.

If stress is the cause then, meditation helps I find.

For Sent that helps, the obvious mentioned above, plus Lotus flower, and maybe Jasmine (though I would use it in a tea for pref.) Again if stress is the cause, then try a little black pepper oil (don't put it on your pillow though).

For drinks, there are a few. Try rasbery leaf and jasmine flower, either as a tea, or in warm milk (don't boil the milk however, as this removes the active parts mentioned in the posts above). For stronger herbs, you can try Valerian (sp?) though it tastes foul, it will help, but tends to leave a groggy feeling in the morning. The active ingredient in valerian isn't very soluble in water, but is in alcohol, so adding the crushed root to brandy (or any other spirit) is a way to mask the taste a little (strain and add the alcohol to the warm milk), or just powder the root and put it in a capsule (avoids the tase). Valerian in alcohol won't go off so you can keep a jar of it handy, and just strain off what you need.

Hope you are sleeping better, and that the above helps.

Richard
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aurora

PostSubject: Re: sleep aids   Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:04 pm

I've recently discovered the best sleeping aid ever! Its called a Hot Toddy! And you make it from hot water, whiskey and honey. After drinking it you nod off straight away plus its yummy and warming!!!!!!!! xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StarlightTess

PostSubject: Re: sleep aids   Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:43 pm

lol kim a hot toddy is also an excellent drink to have if you have a cold Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hedgewitchescottage.co.uk
Storm MoonSong

PostSubject: Re: sleep aids   Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:33 pm

I'm not sure how long after the original thread was created that I am posting this, but I'm very much into herbology and have tried pretty much EVERYTHING in the sleep master task! I have to be in bed by 7 p.m. and asleep at the latest by 7:30 p.m. just to get 6.5 hours of sleep a night! If the hubby and I have had ANY words, or the kids have done something to upend my life, or the boss, or the co-workers, or or or well ya'll know?!! I can't shut off! I try to take a bath with some lavendar oil with some equal parts of sandlewood and rose oil mixed. A few drops of each in a bath along with a few drops on your pillow! I also take nightly one melatonin over the counter. It helps you to drift off nicely without that "hangover" feeling of the stronger sleep agents. My key has turned into, about 1/2 hour before I know I'm supposed to be in bed, I start unwinding. I have to be up by 1:40 a.m. to be to work by 3 a.m. *yawns*. It works for me! I might also have a nice cup of chamomile tea, or a hot cup of cocoa before bed. *doesn't hurt to put some schnaaps in with it!*
Key is to start unwinding before you go to bed. Get your brain so it knows that you are settling down for rest. My brain goes 24/7 as well, but it is trainable! Trust me, if I can shut down early like I do, then EVERYONE can! Women especially * no offense to you men out there who go like this, but women worry about EVERYTHING!* have so many things going through their brains that it is very difficult to shut down at night, or whenever their sleep pattern is! Just start training your brain to slow down BEFORE you are ready for sleep, not WHEN you are ready for sleep. The self hypnosis thing works as well. I've tried just about every sort of hypnosis there is I think. Grounding is a very good thing this time of day as well. Sometimes I use the water theory. Imagine a water faucet above your head and there is a steady flow of water *energy* flowing over your body. Reach up with your dominant hand and start to turn off that water *energy*. As the last drops drip off your body, the *energy* has disapated from you. Just don't let that faucet turn back on! It is a very good form to use for added energy as well, just do the opposite! Somedays when I just can't get my poop in a group to wake up, I turn on that veritable faunt of energy that you can draw upon any time anywhere. It's universal!
*sighs* here I am being long winded again. Get used to it folks! Ask Logmadr, I get long winded about things I'm passionate about! *beings how I am one of those OLD witches ya know!.......laughs......one of those inside jokes between Lodmadr and myself...ask him if you want to know!* Sorry Son! Had to throw you under the bus! Love ya anyway!
Bright Blessings and Sweetest of dreams!
Storm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VII

PostSubject: Re: sleep aids   Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:41 am

Nothing wrong with being passionate about things you enjoy.
Good advice! I'm OK at the moment, but I quite often slip into a bad sleeping pattern and end-up not getting any sleep or just getting it at the wrong time. So, the more different ways we can get on here, the better! Thanks Storm!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/druid_danja & http://www.paganspace.n
Solvo Phasmatis
Forum Hobo

PostSubject: Re: sleep aids   Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks for the advice Storm! I also go through phases of sleep problems and have been having one recently-most likely to do with being very stressed out! Also I know what you mean about the 'hangover' effect of strong sleeping tablets! I had real problems for a while and had to get some from the doctors who didn't tell me (untill I asked for some more) that I had been taking Valium! Saying that I did work very well- pretty much knocked me unconscious for 8 hours exactly (which was wierd). Unfortunatly when I woke it didn't actually feel like I'd got any sleep cos it wasn't natural.
I also find a bath with oils helps (candles and insense don't hurt either) but do occassionally have the water too hot which doesn't help me relax, just makes me sweaty and red! Anywho, I'm also ranting now so I'll leave it at that.......for now! Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/solvo_phasmatis & http://www.paganspace.n
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: sleep aids   Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:31 am

Old doesn't quite cover it, Stormy!!

What a bitch...I love it Wink ... Yeah, she does seem to rant and rave about anything remotely interesting, and most of the time, it's quite enlightening....

Anyway....keep up the posts Stormy, we loves em here on MM!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Storm MoonSong

PostSubject: Re: sleep aids   Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:09 pm

Bitch is it now! Is a good thing I use that term like a badge of honor! Thank you son of my heart! I tell all my sons *now listen up Logmadr!* If someone calls you a "son-of-a-bitch" you say "why thank you, yes she is!" It accomplishes 2 things. It compliments yer mama! AND it shuts that other person right down and they have nothing to say in return! ANYWAY! You, son of my heart are cracking me up! I love the banter back and forth long as we aren't buggin anyone else!
Bright Blessings all
Mama Storm"y" *grins*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: sleep aids   Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:38 pm

Trust me, with the amout of banter flying on this forum, people are used to it!! Oh bitchiness too Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StarlightTess

PostSubject: Re: sleep aids   Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:11 pm

thanx for the advice storm, don't think I'll be trying the faucet thing though, I have enough trouble with always needing the toilet as it is Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hedgewitchescottage.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sleep aids   

Back to top Go down

sleep aids
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2