HomeGalleryPortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Starting With A Bang

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Narada

PostSubject: Starting With A Bang   Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:40 pm

Haha, well that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid!

This is something that's been chipping away at my mind for... well forever actually but particularly since I joined this board. I'm well aware that there are probably hundreds if not thousands of books around, as well as all the internet sites, etc. But my plan is if I actually hear first hand accounts myself, then I'll be more confident in myself.

Basically, what I'm asking is as a complete novice to spellcasting in all forms, how would I begin?

The concept of spells, as I understand it, is present in many different religions and beliefs, but all follow an essentially similar path. So whether I'm a pagan, a wiccan, one of the charmed sisters (lol) or something else entirely, I'm assuming if I wanted to start casting spells (actually it's just occured to me that's probably an umbrella term for all sorts of things) I'd have roughly the same advice from people of all spellcasting faiths.

But, you see, that's where I'm doubting myself because 99% of the time when I assume something I'm wrong. So what I'm asking is for everyone's personal advice on how to start spellcasting (I'm sorry, I really cant think of a better term). And PLEASE feel free to include your own stories of how you started out, because I'm fascinated.

P.S. Do also feel free to recommend any of the books to me you might have found useful, I honestly wouldnt know what to choose for myself!!!

Sorry to waffle, those of you who read the 'Any Guarantees' thread will know what I'm like... shut me up now... silent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: Starting With A Bang   Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:32 pm

Avoid Silver RavenWolf, like the plague. Trust me, you do NOT want to start there. Wicca is normally a good place to start but most people evolve and go on to witchcraft after a while. I would start with looking at spells for greater levels of meditation, or maybe go to a witchcraft cirlce...you live in the states right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ook!
Official Post Master

PostSubject: Re: Starting With A Bang   Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:03 pm

Love the title. Reminds me of my first chemistry experiments at home, before I went to any chemistry classes at school. Let's just say they were very explosive! Laughing

It's wise not to assume anything and I feel that by just taking the steps you are (asking people for their thoughts and experiences) is a long way towards reaching goals that you may have. I don't remember my first experiences so can't answer your question. They would have been as a child, I know that much. Dabbled in the so-called white and black side of the arts as a teenager, stopped for many years and then started again a few years ago in a more scientific manner with a completely different approach which ironically has worked more effectively for me. Ironic because as I have become older I have shed all belief in the mystical and rely on 'science' and experience instead.

What about you?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Narada

PostSubject: Re: Starting With A Bang   Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:27 pm

Thanks guys, sorry for the delay in replying.

I dont live in the States no, I live down near Brighton some of the time and up north in Middlesbrough when I'm at uni, what's a witchcraft circle? (really showing my ignorance now lol). And spells fpr greater meditation, how do you mean? Stupid question I know but I really dont know anything about spells, I was reading up today about candle magic and thats about the first time I've looked into anything specific.

Ook, nice answer, I like the whole scientific thing, I presume you're talking about the energy theory you referred to in the Guarantees thread? So when you say you shed your beliefs in all things mystical, how do you mean, if you dont mind my asking? Do you mean you dont believe in the 'supernatural' or however I should put it?

Thanks again, appreciate the answers, it's a real help to me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LunarCraft
Forum Mother!!
Forum Mother!!

PostSubject: Re: Starting With A Bang   Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:26 am

Sorry to do this, Narada, but I KNEW I WAS RIGHT and you weren't from the States ( Razz Logmadr!!!). I don't know how I knew it ... but I just did!!!

Back on topic now ... spells can be written/created to meet any purpose that you want or need help with. There are certain guidelines that are best to be followed ... such as not interferring with the free-will of another person or asking for money for the sake of it. Also, it is advisable to build in boundaries/specifics to spells, partly to increase their focus but mainly to lessen any widespread effect of the spellworking (you know, "for every action there is a reaction")

However, I am not a particularly good spellcrafter ... so I will now leave this thread to those who are proficient in this area (Aoife and Logmadr to name but two members) Very Happy

and your heart be filled with Love!

Brightest Blessings!

http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk/Lunarcraft/Index.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.the-willow-tree.co.uk
Jaska

PostSubject: Re: Starting With A Bang   Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:57 am

i must say, when i was about 12, my first book of spells was called, the book of spells... by Nicola de pulford.
It was black with silver writing on the front, illustrated, nice thick pages lol.
it has a few pages set for eg european magic, breifly describing witchcraft in during the 16/17th century magic of a paragraph on animals and divination.
it also of course has spells and amulets to make etc, eg the travellers amulet, known as the egyptian ank, and describes what the tradition behind it was etc....

It wasnt the most amazing book, but certainly not bad either. it was pretty cool when i was younger though - upset when someone stole it off me, so i went over and stole it back XD
from then i saw there was a second bok by someone else, then went on to attempting to write my own, with slight failure lol, then a small book 'spells for teenage witches'
at the age i was, generally was a more hands-on, picture-eating kid lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dark-light.forumotion.co.uk/
Ook!
Official Post Master

PostSubject: Re: Starting With A Bang   Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:40 am

Hi Narada,

I appreciate the interest. You have to bear in mind that my approach is very non-traditional and may well be the opposite of what everyone else advises so it may be easier to follow traditional routes.

I think my answer is relevant to your thread since it shows how I would approach 'spell casting' which may in turn help you in your practices as well (or not).

I theorise that everything is energy in some form or another, this includes objects, life, the elements, our thoughts and emotions.

Bearing in mind I theorise that everything, even emotions, has energy that can interact with other energies, I think that Pagan practices have managed to hit on ways of affecting the natural energies to create effects - spell crafting or magic as it is traditionally called. My view is that all of this is just science that has been practised, through trial and error by Pagans, and not been proven by 'modern' scientists yet because they cannot find a way to measure, test or prove it. Neverthe less, it is still science. I do not like the terms mysticism, magic or spellcrafting because I feel they muddy the water, giving a true science a 'fluffy' image that I do not feel it deserves at all. My own humble opinion of course.

In practise this means that with enuogh focus, self-belief and the right combination of physical objects and environmental conditions I think it that we can affect things in certain ways. I hope this answers your question.

As for 'supernatural beings' I also theorise that there are other forms of life that we do not understand which are on a parallel, different level or dimension to us. I think people call these lifeforms demons, angels, guides, gods, etc, etc. I also cringe at these descriptions for a number of reasons, but then again, that's just me. I also do not believe in gods that need worship or communication with mankind. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aoife
Overlord and Mistress all of Word Order

PostSubject: Re: Starting With A Bang   Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:05 am

Ok, replies first.

Logmadr, Damn you! I wanted to mention Silver Raven Wolf! lol.

Ook, as usual you come up trumps with the scienciness (which I am a big fan of myself Very Happy Woo! Agreeingness!)

I started by reading. I think the first book I read was the 'Teenage Witches Book of Spells' or something like that, can't remember the author. I didn't agree with everything there but I was about 11 and it sparked my interest. I found a lot of stuff on the internet, some useful, some not, and then came across a few books by Kate West which are excellant. At that point I met Mr Logmadr and we worked together, sharing knowledge, ideas, opinions, research and much experimentation into the use of energy. If you get the chance to work and learn with someone else who you trust I'd really recommend it. If you don't have that, then reading everything you can find (even if you don't agree with it) is a fantastic way to start. What you are doing right now, asking people for their opinions and experiences is probably even better!

I started with basic meditation techniques, learning to run/use/control my own energy and looking at how spells are constructed, plus reading anything I could find that interested me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://squirrelspotter.livejournal.com/
Jaska

PostSubject: Re: Starting With A Bang   Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:57 am

Aoife wrote:

I started by reading. I think the first book I read was the 'Teenage Witches Book of Spells' or something like that, can't remember the author.

book of spells for teenage witches?
its orange with a purple spine Razz (twas my second book)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dark-light.forumotion.co.uk/
Aoife
Overlord and Mistress all of Word Order

PostSubject: Re: Starting With A Bang   Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:59 pm

Yeah that sounds like it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://squirrelspotter.livejournal.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting With A Bang   

Back to top Go down

Starting With A Bang