HomeGalleryPortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Swords of Night and Day

PostSubject: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:46 pm

By special request I'd like to start a strand about Chi.

I practised Tai Chi Chuan ( a Chinese Martial Art) and encountered this powerful phenomenon.

Has anyone else come across it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zephron

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:47 am

Ok i know hardly anything about Chi so im just going to ask questions.

My first one is, how does Chi differ from other forms of energy? Where is its focal point in the body, and how do you manipulate it? can you sense it like other energies?

And anything else you want to add Very Happy

i expect the entire manuscript 2500 pages on my desk by monday morning study

Simon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jaska

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:14 am

In what i learnt from sensei phil in aikido, chi is the same as ki,(which i usually know it as) ie feeling the warmth in the palm, and using that flow in your body to manipulate the opponents movements.

ai- harmony
ki-spirit
do-way
aikido - way/path of harmony and spirit
or something like that
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dark-light.forumotion.co.uk/
Swords of Night and Day

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:19 am

Easy Peasy Zephron, I'll have 8000 words typed by an infinite number of monkeys by tonight, then again it might be Hamlet ( ref HHGTTG)

The Chi Gung techniques we did seemed to be a heat sensation. Varying from Blood infused (i.e. red) tingling hands, to what was described as "Molten Lead dripping from your fingers!" Another "problem" was overheating after practice, typically at 1am the next morning where your skin temperature sharply increases. My instructor called it the "triple-heater", though I'm none the wiser as to its cause.

A practical manifestation was enormous power from very close range. E.G. A punch from one (1) inch that knocked me flying. I'm 6ft 2in and weigh 14 stone (even heavier if I put the other leg on!)

I've heard that Ki is the Japanese name for it, though when I did Wado-Ryu Karate it wasn't taught.

I am in no way an expert on this, just encountered it.

The Indian peoples (Asia not USA) have similar (if not the original) bio-energy system. Chakra(?) lines and so forth.

Forgive my woeful lack of knowledge on this subject.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jaska

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:51 am

Swords of Night and Day wrote:

I've heard that Ki is the Japanese name for it, though when I did Wado-Ryu Karate it wasn't taught.

it is possible that you were not taught it as aikido was a more relaxing martial art, not using force or strength, and relying instead of our energy,
however from what i am aware, karate-do of any form would be strength based with punches and kicks relying on muscle instead. basically your martial art was formed to not require ki/chi control
Back to top Go down
Swords of Night and Day

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:01 am

Yes, agreed. When i did Karate and later Tai Chi there was a graphic difference between the two.

I've heard many good things about Aikido, but unfortunately never got the chance to experience it.

Anyone know about Chakra lines & energy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dorian

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:20 pm

Only what i've seen in Naruto Razz

If that is to be seen as in any way true.. Then there are lots of things I could possibly say.. If not, i'll be quiet, what's your opinion, should I say what Naruto anime told me or no?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zephron

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:34 pm

Why not they had to research it too, to be able to write about it lol.

Simon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dorian

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:17 pm

Ok.. from the anime, You have the Chakra lines running through you, kind of like blood vessels but different, you also have 361 tenketsu which are like little points which Chakra can see out through, maybe in. Your Chakra is produced in your center, slightly below the heart and in the middle.

There are also Chakra gates which are pretty much limiters on how much and how fast it passes, I think there were eight gates, they make you weaker, but live proportionally longer.

If they are opened you get a burst of power, with different specifics for different gates, Such as the first releases the limit of strain you brain puts on your muscles and the fifth releases the limit of Chakra released at once.

Anyways, all of this came pretty much from Naruto, so feel free to poke holes in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jaska

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:32 am

lol speaking of naruto, on the way home yesterday, i passed some lil chubbyl girl walking with someone else weareing a naruto band XD

or whenever it was... was day after party

Superfluous
Back to top Go down
VII

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:59 am

These points of chi, ki and chakra energy sound like the points used for accupuncture, accupressure and Dim Mak kung fu. These points can be manipulated to channel the chi in certain directions around your body (like an accupressure/puncture point can be used to numb pain in a certain part of your body or a Dim Mak move can be used to disable a certain point, even knocking someone out.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/druid_danja & http://www.paganspace.n
Jaska

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:27 am

Jaska wrote:

or whenever it was... was day after party

Superfluous

ooh yay i can expand my mattery!
no... vocabulary
whats a mattery? i was thinkng of batterys cus they hold things... i think
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:57 am

Jaska, I added the superfluous comment because I think the "chubby" bit was unnecessary....but hey, not going to take it out, your choice to keep it there Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jaska

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:20 am

Logmadr wrote:
Jaska, I added the superfluous comment because I think the "chubby" bit was unnecessary....but hey, not going to take it out, your choice to keep it there Smile

well, i couldnt think of a better word Razz im not on thinking stage atm
Back to top Go down
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:25 am

Superfluous means unnecessary Jaska....why would we need to know the size of the girl? Never mind, i just saw it as a little insulting, but do what thou wilt ((For the record, I am not Wiccan, I just like the saying))
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solvo Phasmatis
Forum Hobo

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:26 pm

Anyway, back to the topic...
I have alway thought of the control of chi as being extremely similar to magic. Though different methods are being used, it is (from the little I know) the manipulation of personal (possible external-not sure) energy. Though I only know of it mainly being used to manipulate the phisical plane (thowing people acroos rooms, etc) I have also heard of it being used on the other elements (someone focusing their chi to a point of creating fire!-mind, body and kick-ass moves. Smile )
Feel free to correct my unknowledgable opinion if I am wrong, but this has always been my perception of it. As always, here to learn! study
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/solvo_phasmatis & http://www.paganspace.n
Logmadr

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:50 am

I watched Mind, Body and Kick-Ass Moves last night!!...

...When it comes to Chi, mny views are skewed becase of Reiki: i don't think anyone could throw you across a room with Reiki!! They could heal you afterwards, but... lol

I think it's an obscure branch of th Esoteric and is very private, hence why we are asking these questions: it's been kept secret for thousands of years, who are we to ask the masters of divulge? I'd love to know, bu doubt I will ever know the secrets entirely!!

Nice thread...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Swords of Night and Day

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:40 am

Seems to me, that with Reiki, Chakra, Chi etc we are tapping into the same bio-electrical energy flow/field phenomenon.

So, if a phenomenon is readily measurable/discernible, by it's effects AND by it's practicioners then it's gotta be REAL!

Wicked!!!

Crystals!

Here's another one. If you have a Gas hob at home, the ignition button uses a piezo-electric effect. (Pressing a crystal to release energy.)

So much for people saying there's no energy in Crystals!!

The Dalai Lama once said " Beginning to understand, what you don't understand, is the first step on the road to enlightenment!"

Top Bloke!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solvo Phasmatis
Forum Hobo

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:57 am

Sonad, have you seen this mind, body and kick ass moves? I personally thought it was really impressive but was wondering what someone who actually practiced the use of chi would think of it. Do you believe the things done on there? Is it possible?...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/solvo_phasmatis & http://www.paganspace.n
Swords of Night and Day

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:58 am

Sadly no, not seen them. Though if they are like the old '70s series called The Way of the Warrior, then Yes the martial use of Chi/Chakra energy is devastating.

This "Kick-ass" program on Sky?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VII

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:29 am

I think that's the one. It's a Brummie martial arts enthusiast going around the world documenting every martial art or fighting style he comes across. He is a believer in Chi (he can do that "make someone stand with their back to you, and from a distance, pull that person back without touching them") and often documents chi and ki related arts and styles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/druid_danja & http://www.paganspace.n
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else   

Back to top Go down

Chi - Life Force, Spiritual Energy or Something Else
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1